I recently completed The Next Thing on my List (amazon) by Jill Smolinski (I read it in a mere 3 days). If I had to choose one word to describe it, I’d say it was inspiring, which is incredibly surprising for a book about a woman who is in a car accident that kills her passenger.
The book revolves around a list written by the woman, Marissa, killed in the accident. The main character and driver of the car, June, finds the list. Feeling guilty for the death of a woman she only knew for the duration of a car ride, June finds the list and decides to complete it herself before Marissa’s 25th birthday. What unfolds is a life-changing story about realizing what you want in life and setting out to achieve it.
I knew even before I finished the book that I would want to make my own list at the end of it. I’ve spent a lot of my life setting out to complete things and somehow never managing (I couldn’t even commit to a daily diary). I now feel like I’ve reached a turning point in my life, and I realize that I’ve been holding myself back from a lot of the things I’d like to try in life. This book inspired me to make my own list of 20 things to do before I turn 25 (1 year 10 months from now):
- Go on a cruise
- Complete the P90X workout program
- Take a wine tour
- Learn to handle/shoot a gun
- Go ice skating (this ones for you, John) 🙂
- Lose 15 pounds
- Go hiking/camping with my little sister
- Donate to charity
- Go paintballing
- Learn to drive stick
- Go zip lining
- Think of something I’d like to buy, create a budget, and save up to make it happen
- Treat myself to a day at the spa (mani, pedi, facial, massage)
- Try an exotic food I’ve never heard of
- Host a party
- See a show on Broadway
- Make/Do 10 things I’ve seen on Pinterest (this one is silly, but it will be fun!)
- Go on a picnic
- Make money off of my photography
I’m excited to commit to this mini-bucket list and look forward to crossing things off and sharing the experiences with you. Oh and PS, READ THIS BOOK!
Photo source here.